What’s the best thing about fall in Florida? All your favorite outdoor activities become much more bearable, including bike riding! Naples has some wonderful bike trails with great views, but getting out on your bike in Florida’s summer heat can be unbearable. Now, with temperatures dropping as we head into October, bicyclists are heading out to their favorite bike routes in droves.
If you’re a local biking enthusiast, you already know what we’re talking about and probably can’t wait to hit your favorite bike trail. But before you do that, you’ll want to make sure that your bike is ready. To help you accomplish this, here’s a simple bike inspection checklist to get your bike ready for fall:
- Lubricant: Just like a car, your bike needs to be properly lubricated to work properly. Use an oil lubricant on the bike chain and other parts of the drive train to ensure they can move smoothly and efficiently.
- Tires: Hoist your bike up and check your tires for tears, cracks and uneven wear. Give each tire a quick spin to make sure it is not wobbling or loose. You’ll also want to pump your tires as necessary to reach the proper tire pressure. Any bike service in Naples, FL can help with repairing or replacing a tire if needed.
- Brakes: Check your brake pads for any ridges or uneven wear. You should also do a brake test; squeeze on the brake lever and watch your brake pads to ensure they evenly squeeze the rims of your tire at the same time.
- Cables: You should regularly check your brake cables for damage. Give your brake cables a once-over, checking for looseness, crimps or cracks in the rubber housing surrounding the cable.
- Drop your bike: It may sound strange, but this is a good way to check for problems before you hit the road. Pick your bike up about 4 or 5 inches off the ground, and then let it fall. Listen for any rattling or odd noises when it hits the ground, as this could be a sign you need to take it in for bike repair in Naples, FL.
- Test ride: Finally, take your bike out for a short test ride close to home on a simple trail or in a low-traffic area. Listen carefully and really pay attention to how your bike feels, checking for anything that seems out of the ordinary.
Fall bike rides in Naples are beautiful and a lot of fun for the whole family, but it’s important to be safe. Do this simple checklist, and if anything seems out of the ordinary, come in and see one of our bike experts at Big Momma’s Bicycles. We specialize in repairing all kinds of bikes, as well as offer new bike sales in Naples, FL. So whether you are looking to gear up, get a repair or think it’s time for a new bike this fall, we’re here to help. We look forward to seeing you!
This post was written by Writer