Biking with your children can be a joy. From taking off the training wheels to going on a long ride, it’s valuable quality time that every parent cherishes. Of course, you want your child to be safe while you’re riding with them. It’s one thing to go around the cul-de-sac a few times; it’s quite another to be heading down a busy street together.
Doing this the right way starts with picking an excellent bike shop in Naples, FL. The right shop will have the expert staff who can help you and your family navigate the roads smoothly and safely. Let’s take a look at some top tips for getting out on the road with your children:
- Practice: It’s vital that your child not only be an experienced rider, but also that they know the rules of the road and practice them. For example, do they know how to signal right and left turns? Can they ride in a straight line while staying close to the curb? You can practice everything they need to know on bike paths or low traffic streets before heading out into high traffic areas.
- Be in control: Your child will take cues from you naturally. Make sure they’re able to follow every direction you give them. Conditions on the road will change and they’ll need to be able to adapt in the moment. If they’re not able to do this, then you need to use a tow bar, trailer or other device that lets you stay in control of their bike.
- Position correctly: It’s ideal to have two adults for each child, so one can stay in front and the other in back. If you have only one adult, then the adult should be positioned in front and slightly to the left of the child. This ensures the child won’t fall out of sync with the adult and protects them from oncoming traffic.
- Plan thoroughly: Make sure you plan your route ahead of time, and then review it with your child. This will prevent you from getting into a dangerous situation. You can also practice the route yourself before you bring your child along.
- Visibility: It’s always important to be visible on a bike—and doubly so when you have a child along with you. Put a sign on the back of your bike indicating the child’s presence. You may want to add flashing lights or reflective tape to make yourself more visible as well.
When you need help from a bike shop in Naples, FL, why not stop by Big Momma’s Bicycles? We’re a locally owned business that’s been serving the community for over a decade. People love our fast, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Our services include repairs, rental service, resales, services, tune-ups and more.
We also offer rentals if your bike is in the shop for repairs or you just want to get out on the weekend. Our staff is here to answer any questions you may have. We’ve helped thousands of people choose bikes for commuting, mountain biking, exercise and more. Contact us right now or stop by our shop to find out more about what we offer cyclists.
Categorised in: Bike Shop