To the untrained eye, an electric bicycle looks like a normal bike, but there are some key differences between the two. An electric bicycle (also known as an e-bike), has a small motor that aids in pedaling. If you’re unfamiliar with e-bikes, or if you’re thinking about buying one, keep reading—this post from your favorite bike shop in Naples, FL will teach you everything you need to know about e-bikes.
Benefits of e-bikes
We love standard bicycles just as much as anyone, but we’re also huge fans of e-bikes! The following points are just some of the reasons why some bicyclists choose e-bikes over standard models:
- An easier ride: Every cyclist has faced a hill that seems almost insurmountable, or has been on a ride and just run out of energy. That’s not an issue for e-bike riders. An e-bike can generate up to 700 watts (almost one horsepower), which means you can quickly get up any hill and ride for hours without getting tired.
- Versatility: Do ever wish you could commute to work on your bike, but your office seems a little too far away? Consider getting an e-bike! With an e-bike, you can motor across town without breaking a sweat. Keep your car at home and ride all over town on your new e-bike.
- No special requirements: Even though they have motors, e-bikes are still classified as bicycles instead of vehicles. That means you don’t need to get a license or pass a test to operate one. As long as you can ride a standard bicycle, you can operate an e-bike.
- Stay fit with ease: We don’t have to tell you that riding a standard bicycle is a great way to stay in shape. What you might not realize, though, is that an e-bike gives you nearly as good of a workout without your even noticing it. You’ll be fit as a fiddle in no time at all when you ride your e-bike!
Different types of e-bikes
If you thought there’s just one type of e-bike out there, we’ve got news for you! A couple of different styles exist, as well as a variety of brands that fit within anyone’s budget. These are the two different categories of e-bikes:
- Pedal assist: An e-bike with pedal assist is just like a normal bike, but once you start pedaling, a motor kicks in and helps you move on down the road. Riding on one of these is like having a tailwind at all times. This is a perfect bike for anyone who wants a bit of a workout without getting overly tired.
- Power on command: These e-bikes have a throttle that can power the bicycle without your needing to do anything at all—just hop on, crank the throttle and head on down the road! The only caveat is that you can run out of battery power fairly quickly if you’re constantly on the throttle.
Whether you’re looking to get an e-bike to stay in shape or because it’s easier on your muscles, be sure to buy it from our bike shop in Naples, FL! At Big Momma’s Bicycles, we carry a wide variety of electric bikes that are guaranteed to please. Come see us today!
Categorised in: Bike Shop