Bike riding is a fantastic option for people who want an alternative way to commute to the office or people who simply want to enjoy some exercise outdoors on the weekends. Regardless of when or why you ride your bike, you probably know how important it is to be safe on the road, especially when you are sharing it with motorists. To ensure you stay safe and avoid collisions with motorists on the road, here are several bike riding tips in Naples, FL that you should put into practice:
- Use designated bike lanes: A lot of cyclists assume that it’s safer to ride on the sidewalk, but this isn’t the case. Riding your bicycle on the sidewalk can cause conflicts with pedestrians and significantly slow down your commute. You should always cycle on the road and use designated bike lanes when possible. This is the safest option for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists alike.
- Follow traffic laws: When you’re riding on the roads, you need to follow all of the same traffic laws as motorists do. Stay in your lane, stop at red lights and stop signs and always signal your turns to ensure the safest cycling experience possible.
- Stay vigilant: You should keep your eyes peeled and pay attention to everything that’s going on around you. Motorists don’t always see cyclists clearly right away, so you need to be aware of vehicle blind spots and avoid coming into close proximity with motorists who might pose a safety risk. As you approach intersections and turn lanes, pay attention to drivers who might cross your path while making a turn or merging into a new lane. The more vigilant you are, the safer you will be while you share the road with motorists, pedestrians and other cyclists.
- Plan a safe route: If there are multiple possible routes to your destination, consider the various safety risks that might be present in each and choose the route that is the safest for you. Taking time to plan a safe route in advance will give you an added sense of security and peace of mind and allow you to focus on enjoying your ride.
- Use the right gear: The quality of your bicycle and your accessories can significantly affect your safety. Make sure your bike is well maintained and that you have all of the safety gear you need to make it to your destination safely. Stock up on reflective plates, quality head gear and anything else that will help protect you from road hazards.
Get more expert bike riding tips in Naples, FL
For more bike riding tips in Naples, FL, reach out to the team at Big Momma’s Bicycles. Since 2005, we have been dedicated to providing high quality bicycles and bike services to our customers. We offer bike sales, accessories, rentals, maintenance and repair services so that you can always have the best experience possible when you’re cycling. Learn more about everything we have to offer by giving our team a call or stopping by to see us in person today!
Categorised in: Bike Safety