As a leading bike shop in Naples, FL, we get a lot of questions from beginners about how to road bike as safely as possible. While road biking can be intimidating if you don’t have a lot of experience, all you really need to do is learn a few rules of the road to succeed at it.
If you are considering becoming a beginning road biker, read on for more information about how to prepare for this new hobby, and how to ensure your own safety and comfort on the road:
- Dress appropriately: The clothes make the biker—or at least, they certainly help! When biking on the road, you will want an outfit that won’t flap in the wind, and will protect you from the elements without making you overheated. Some of our favorite biking apparel includes fingerless gloves with palm padding, wind vests, lightweight rain jackets, bike shorts or tights and arm and knee warmers.
- Pick the right bike: A good road bike is lightweight and fast, and can be easily ridden on paved surfaces. Any bike shop in Naples, FL should have plenty of good road bikes—but the real challenge is making sure you have one that fits your height well. At Big Momma’s Bicycles, our staff will be happy to work with you to ensure you find a road bike ideal for your safety and comfort.
- Safety first: Everyone knows that good bike safety includes wearing a helmet—but not all helmets are created equal. Look for a helmet that meets U.S. safety standards, and has appealing extras like ventilation, a chinstrap that is easily adjustable and absorbent pads to control moisture.
- Accessorize: A good road biker is always prepared. Here are some things you should consider always keeping with you while biking: a bike multi-tool, bike lights and reflectors, a water bottle and fenders. Some of these accessories can be installed on your bike; for those that can’t, you can invest in a small saddlebag for your road bike.
- Know how to ride: The most important part of road biking is the actual riding of your bike. Biking on pavement is different from pedaling on rough terrain or dirt bike trails, so you ought to study up on how to bike well on the road. Some bike rental shops in Naples, FL even offer classes in road biking, which may be a good idea if you’re feeling nervous or inexperienced.
- Mind your manners: Knowing road biking etiquette won’t just keep other cyclists and drivers from getting angry with you—it can also save your life. There are plenty of articles and books out there that cover this topic, and it is also covered in road biking classes. And if you have friends who are avid road bikers, you can ask for their advice as well.
Now that you know how to safely and effectively bike on the road, you may be itching to get started. Fortunately, Big Momma’s Bicycles is the place to go for bike purchases, bike accessories and bike rental in Naples, FL. We look forward to welcoming you to our store!