We’ve known that cycling is good for our physical wellbeing for quite some time, but we’re now learning that cycling is great for our minds as well as our bodies! Even a short bike ride can have positive effects on your brain. Continue reading to learn more about cycling and health in Naples, FL:
- Endorphins: You’ve probably heard of a “runner’s high” that folks say they get after going on a long run. Well, the same sensation can be felt after a few miles on the bike. As we ride, chemicals like dopamine and serotonin are released in the brain. Dopamine gets you energized and motivated, while serotonin gives you a sense of confidence. Those are two pretty great feelings, in our opinion!
- Neurogenesis: Contrary to what you may have read online, our brains don’t stop producing neurons after we reach adulthood. The process of growing new neurons and maintaining existing ones is known as neurogenesis, and it’s greatly improved with physical activity. More neurogenesis means more synapses, which leads to higher cognitive ability.
- Concentration: When we’re on the bike, our heart rate increases and we get more blood flow throughout our body—particularly up in the brain. With more blood flow comes more oxygen and nutrients to your brain, which improves concentration and focus. Experts say just 30 minutes on the bike each day is enough to help improve your memory, focus, concentration and overall mental health.
- Relaxation and stress relief: After a long day at the office, don’t just go home and sit on the couch. Instead, hop on the bike and get some exercise. Even riding a few miles will put your mind and body at ease, and help you relax before going to bed.
Other benefits of cycling
As you probably already know, cycling isn’t just great for your brain! Here are a few of the other positive aspects of cycling and health in Naples, FL:
- Weight loss: Cycling is one of the best ways to shed some pounds. Obviously, the number of calories you burn on the bike depends on how fast and hard you ride, but the average cyclist burns anywhere from 450 to 750 calories per hour. By riding every day and watching what you eat, you’ll be in better shape in no time.
- Heart health: We mentioned above about getting your blood pumping on a ride, and that’s just what the heart needs. As long as you don’t overdo it, cycling improves cardiovascular health and drastically reduces the risk of a heart attack.
- Bone strength: Our bones tend to become brittle and are more prone to breaking as we age. You can improve bone strength by lifting weights or with low-impact workouts, like cycling! Eat calcium-rich foods and ride regularly, and your bones will be as strong as an ox.
Do your body and brain a favor and get out on the bike today! If your bike is currently out of commission, bring it by and have it repaired by one of the specialists at Big Momma’s Bicycles. We don’t want you missing out on any of the benefits of cycling and health in Naples, FL!
Categorised in: Cycling